Last Updated on
Aloo Tokri chaat or Potato Basket Chaat is powerhouse of flavors in which you get many flavors, textures and tastes. Basket chaat is also known as tokri chaat or katori chaat.
You can prepare small or medium sized baskets from grated potatoes which as per your requirements or suitability. To make this chaat, you have to fill the basket with boiled potatoes, chickpeas, boondi, sev, anar ke dane, chutneys, curd, bhallas, papri like raj kachori. You can found this chaat item at every chaat house in Delhi.
Aloo tokri chaat is very famous chaat recipe in North Indian especially in Delhi. To prepare aloo laccha tokri chaat you have to grate the potatoes in to large quantity after that wash and drain them with water properly. Mix with salt and turmeric powder. Fry the lacchas in oil using tea strainer in basket form.
You can store the aloo baskets in air tight container for more than one week for further use. You can change the filling as per your taste or preference. Even you can add chickpeas curry also with chutneys and topping of pomegranate, sev and boondi.
Aloo Tokri Chaat | Potato Basket Chaat
For Potato Basket
- 2 Large Potatoes, Peeled
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- Oil for Deep Frying
- Few Bhallas Chopped
- Few Papris Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Boiled Potatoes Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Boiled Chickpeas
- 2 Tbsps. Boondi
- 2 Tbsps Pomegranate Arils
- Coriander Leaves Chopped
- Green Coriander Chutney
- Meethi Chutney
- Yogurt Whisked
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper Powder to taste
- Chaat Masala
- Roasted Cumin Powder
How to Prepare Potato Baskets
- Wash the potatoes and peel off the skin, grate the potatoes thickly.
- Keep the grated potatoes soaked in cold water for 10-15 minutes. Drain the water from the grated potatoes completely and dry the potato using an absorbent kitchen towel.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and mix well. Take a tea strainer and place a portion of potatoes evenly covering the base and sides of strainer completely.
- Now take a second tea strainer which will be a size smaller and place it on top of the grated potatoes inside the first one.
- Heat the oil in kadai, when hot enough. Add the strainer completely immersing it into the oil. Deep fry till the potato basket turns golden brown.
- Remove the top strainer carefully and keep it aside. Invert the strainer with basket and giving it a very light tap, gently unmold the basket from the tea strainer. Use the same process to make remaining baskets.
How to Assemble Aloo Tokri Chaat
- In a plate, place the Aloo Basket, Add roughly chopped bhallas, papris, Potatoes, chickpeas. Add meethi chutney, green chutney and yogurt.
- Now add spices, pomegranate, sev, boondi and coriander till the basket is almost filled up. Serve Immediately.