Dahi wali bhindi recipe, Okra yogurt-based curry, dahi bhindi recipe. Bhindi is known as okra in English and very known and comfortable vegetable in Indian kitchen. With its elongated shape, vibrant green color, and unique texture, bhindi is a culinary favorite for its ability to bring both flavor and substance to a wide range of dishes.
Dahi wali bhindi is a delicious Indian curry made with bhindi (okra) cooked in yogurt-based gravy. It’s a flavorful and creamy recipe that goes well with rice, paratha or roti.
It can be stir-fried, sautéed, stuffed, grilled, or even pickled. In Indian cuisine, it’s a staple ingredient in dishes like Bhindi Masala (okra cooked with spices), Dahi Wali Bhindi (okra in yogurt sauce), and Bhindi Do Pyaza (okra cooked with onions).
Today I’m going to share easy way to cook dahi wali bhindi or masala dahi bhindi recipe. You can serve this recipe along with any dal recipe as lunch or dinner menu. Most of kids love okra or bhindi which is great option for lunchbox too.
To reduce the sliminess of bhindi, some cooks recommend soaking the sliced pods in water with a bit of vinegar or lemon juice before cooking. Quick cooking methods like stir-frying or sautéing help minimize the sliminess while retaining the vegetable’s texture and flavor.
Bhindi is not only delicious but also nutritious. It’s low in calories and a good source of dietary fiber, vitamins (such as vitamin C, vitamin K), and minerals (such as folate and potassium). Its soluble fiber content can aid in digestion and help regulate blood sugar levels.
Selection and Storage:
When choosing bhindi, look for pods that are vibrant green, firm, and free from blemishes. Avoid those that are overly soft or discoloured. To store bhindi, place it in a paper bag or a breathable container in the refrigerator. Using it within a few days of purchase is recommended for the best quality.
Here is some more recipe with bhindi or okra: Bhindi Masala Fry, Bhindi Kebab, Sindhi Kadhi and Vendakkai Poriyal/ Okra Stir Fry
Let’s start the recipe of Dahi wali Bhindi:
300 gm bhindi / okra (chopped)
2-3 tbsp oil
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp carom seeds
Pinch of asafoetida
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp green chili, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1½ cup curd whisked
Salt to taste
2 tbsp coriander finely chopped
Lemon juice for taste
How to cook Dahi wali Bhindi (Step by Step recipe)
Firstly, in a large kadai heat 2 tbsp oil and fry chopped bhindi.
Fry on medium flame until the bhindi looks tender.
Remove and keep aside the fried bhindi.
Heat the oil in same pan, add cumin seeds, carom seeds.
When they start splutter, add ginger garlic paste, green chili, onion and saute until to translucent.
Add turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and saute on low flame till spices starts to separate the oil.
Add whisked curd and cook on low flame, mix well.
Add salt and cook till to separate the oil.
Add fried bhindi and mix well.
Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes till to bhindi gets soft and tender.
Now garnish with green coriander and lemon juice.
Finally enjoy this dahi wali bhindi with roti or paratha.
Dahi wali bhindi recipe
- Fry Pan
- 300 gm bhindi / okra chopped
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp carom seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp green chili chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1½ cup curd whisked
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coriander finely chopped
- Lemon juice for taste
- Firstly, in a large kadai heat 2 tbsp oil and fry chopped bhindi.
- Fry on medium flame until the bhindi looks tender.
- Remove and keep aside the fried bhindi.
- Heat the oil in same pan, add cumin seeds, carom seeds.
- When they start splutter, add ginger garlic paste, green chili, onion and saute until to translucent.
- Add turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and saute on low flame till spices starts to separate the oil.
- Add whisked curd and cook on low flame, mix well.
- Add salt and cook till to separate the oil.
- Add fried bhindi and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes till to bhindi gets soft and tender.
- Now garnish with green coriander and lemon juice.
- Finally enjoy this dahi wali bhindi with roti or paratha.