Roasted Phool Makhana recipe is a healthy and tasty snack recipe which serves during Navratri or fasting period. These seeds contains high source of manganese and phosphorus which makes these snacks more perfect for kids lunchbox or travel food.
To make this seeds more flavorful, you can add turmeric powder, chili powder, chaat masala and garlic powder. I made this recipe especially for upcoming Navratri festival. If you taste the makhana as raw, they are soft and very chewy. But when you roast them, they become crisp and crunchy snack.
What are Lotus Seeds?
Lotus seeds are commonly known as Makhana, which generally consume it during their fasts or even use it as an ingredient in Indian cuisines or desserts. It is easily available in the market and has a very good shelf life and can be stored for a long time in an airtight jar.
Lotus plant grows in Southeast Asia and scientifically known as Nelumbo Nucifera. You can consume lotus seeds roasted, fried and raw. In China, the seeds aren’t only used in traditional medicine, but they used its petals to spice up their meals and to prepare herbal teas as well.
Nutrition Values of Makhana
In a 100 gm of dried lotus seeds include 332 calories and contain 64% carbohydrates, 2% fat, 15% protein, and 14% water. The seeds contain B vitamins in rich content, particularly thiamin at 43% of the Daily Value, and numerous dietary minerals, such as manganese and phosphorus.
Ingredients for Roasted Makhana Recipe:
100gm Lotus Seeds / Phool Makhana
Rock Salt to Taste
Black Pepper Powder to Taste
1 Tsp. Roasted Cumin Seeds Powder
2 Tbsps. Desi Ghee, Melted
How to Make Roasted Makhana Recipe:
Combine salt, pepper powder and cumin powder in small bowl and keep aside with melted ghee. Now roast the phool makhana in a heavy bottom pan on low heat. Once makhana well roasted from the inside too, add melted ghee and salt pepper mixture. Roast the makhana for few minutes more till to crunch. Allow it to cool completely and store it in air tight container. You can serve this roasted makhana recipe as healthy snack in navratri also.
Roasted Makhana Recipe
- 100 gm Lotus Seeds / Phool Makhana
- Rock Salt to Taste
- Black Pepper Powder to Taste
- 1 Tsp. Roasted Cumin Seeds Powder
- 2 Tbsps. Desi Ghee Melted
- Combine salt, pepper powder and cumin powder in small bowl and keep aside with melted ghee.
- Now roast the phool makhana in a heavy bottom pan on low heat.
- Once makhana well roasted from the inside too, add melted ghee and salt pepper mixture.
- Roast the makhana for few minutes more till to crunch.
- Allow it to cool completely and store it in air tight container.
- You can serve this roasted makhana recipe as healthy snack in navratri also.